Garage Door: Open Sesame!
Garage door manufacturers have been working hard to find creative and durable options that meet your needs and expectations. For this reason, it’s important to know what’s available on the market and how to choose the garage door that’s right for you.
Comparing garage door openings
There are five main types of garage doors, most of which can be used with a motorized garage door opener:
- Overhead garage doors, made from a single panel, are resistant to break-ins. They can be made to measure and can be used with a motorized garage door opener.
- Roll-up garage doors are made with aluminum blades that roll upward. They can be made to measure, provide a high level of insulation and are secure. They can also be used with a garage door opener.
- Sectional garage doors, made up of several articulated panels, have several benefits: they have a high level of insulation, they are resistant to break-ins, they can be made to measure and certain models can be used with a motorized garage door opener.
- Folding garage doors consist of several wood panels that fold into themselves. Some models can be made to measure, with the option of adding a small door. They cannot be used with a garage door opener.
- Swinging garage doors are made of two large panels of wood or PVC. They can be made to measure, but they cannot be motorized.
There are four main materials used to make garage doors: steel, aluminum, PVC and wood. Here are the main advantages and disadvantages of each option:
- Steel is a resistant material, but its level of insulation is limited and the cost can be quite high;
- Aluminum is very resistant, does not require maintenance, but is expensive;
- PVC is an economical and lightweight material that does not require maintenance. However, it’s not the most durable option;
- Wood has aesthetic and thermal qualities, but is an expensive material and requires regular maintenance.
Why use a motorized garage door opener?
Motorized garage door openers not only provide extra comfort and safety, they also extend the lifespan of your garage door system. Here are a few benefits:
- You don’t need to get in and out of your car, as you can use the remote control to open the door;
- The motor makes the garage door more durable and resistant as it opens and closes smoothly, not in a jerky motion;
- They offer greater security as the door stops closing if something gets in the way.
When choosing your garage door, be sure to ask a professional who can provide you with guidance and advice.