4 risks to watch out for in your home
Wherever you go, there are risks. For example, you can trip and hurt yourself at home. But some risks are more insidious—if ignored or allowed to worsen, they can be harmful to your health and your home.
Here are four risks to keep top of mind and how you can protect yourself.
A little humidity is good, but too much is, well, too much! If the humidity in your home is always over 70%, your home may pay the price. You may also experience respiratory problems or irritation as a result.
Too much moisture in the air can damage a house’s wood frame, cause paint to flake and encourage mould to grow.
If you feel like you live in a damp basement, or if a device tells you that the humidity is too high, don’t wait. First, install a dehumidifier. If the air is still too humid, consult a ventilation specialist.
Mould in a home is a serious problem that can affect your health and that of your family. It can aggravate asthma and cause other respiratory problems or allergic reactions.
If you notice mould, act quickly. If mould stains are still small and isolated, commercially available products will probably address the issue.
If the problem is more serious or more widespread—for example, if you find mould between the walls—call in professional cleaning specialists. Removal is tricky, because you want to avoid exposure to mould and to prevent spreading it throughout the home. There’s a chance that you might also have to replace sections of walls affected by mould.
In the past, lead was often used in plumbing and pipes. Over time, that lead ends up in tap water. If your home is older or if you suspect that the pipes are lead, have the water tested.
Lead has harmful, long-term effects on your health. It can have a harmful impact on the development of children exposed to it.
Although rarer than in the past, lead exposure is a problem that still affects many homes. Montreal has recently conducted tests to measure lead in several areas in order to retrofit deficient pipes.
Simply saying that radon is a radioactive gas is enough to convey how detrimental it can be to your health.
In its natural state, this gas, caused by the breakdown of uranium, dissipates rapidly in the air and does not pose a health hazard. There is some radon in every house.
It leaks into the house through cracks or joints. Trapped in a confined space, such as a house, it can reach concentration levels high enough to constitute a health risk, often in the form of lung cancer. It’s best to conduct a radon test to verify the concentration level.
If there is a problem, you must consult a radon reduction specialist to reduce the radon.