July 14, 2021
10 must-dos when moving into your new home
The day has arrived. You’re ready to move into your new home! But before getting out the paint cans or hosting your first barbecue, there are a few things you need to do.
Some of these tasks may seem unnecessary, but you’ll be glad you did them.
- Locate the water main and electrical panel. Be prepared: know where to go if you have a water leak or blown fuse.
- Clean the floors, walls, cupboards and cabinets. Your house will never be as easy to clean again!
- Change the locks, including your mailbox lock. You never know who might still have a key to your place. Best be safe and change the locks. If your mail is not delivered to the door but to a community mailbox, request a lock replacement from the post office. It’s free the first time you request one for a new home.
- Replace smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector batteries and install fire extinguishers. If there aren’t any detectors and fire extinguishers, now’s the right time to install them. Caution: fire extinguishers have a limited service life. Check the date on the cylinder.
- Change your address. Contact your local electricity, internet and phone providers—if you haven’t already.
- Have an electrician inspect all outlets. Calling in a professional is a great investment for avoiding unwelcome surprises.
- Carry out essential work. If the inspection report noted that some urgent maintenance work or repairs are required, get them done while the house is empty.
- Pay the transfer duties. There’s no avoiding it—you have to pay the “welcome tax.” Pay this quickly and have one less debt to worry about.
- Make a plan and measure the rooms and windows. Before moving, imagine your new layout and decide how each room will be used. Remember to locate the power outlets before planning where your furniture will go. Write down all dimensions on a pad or in your phone—you’ll need specific measurements when buying new furniture or blinds.
- Meet your neighbours. Good neighbourliness starts when you arrive. Introduce yourself to your neighbours, get to know them a bit and swap phone numbers.
Download our checklist so you don't forget anything.
Now you can enjoy living in your new home!