Tips for Treating Mould
Signs of mould
should be dealt with immediately. Here are some tips for treating this problem.
Signs of mould should be dealt with immediately. Here are some tips for treating this problem.
Getting rid of mould
Before you start cleaning, ask those people who may have sensitivities, such as asthmatics, seniors and young children, to leave the house. Those involved in the cleaning should protect themselves to minimize exposure to spores: N95 dust mask, safety glasses, rubber gloves, long-sleeved shirt and long pants.
When it comes to cleaning, many people use bleach, but it is recommended to simply use water mixed with dishwashing soap (or baking soda if the affected surface is plaster). Clean the stains without getting them too wet, then wipe them with a cloth soaked in clean water. Finally, dry the area quickly.
Despite your best efforts, you may need to resort to professional help if the contaminated area is more than one metre square or if a problem persists after repeated cleaning.
After water damage
Whether it's small or large, water damage puts you in an unfortunate situation, as it takes only two hours for mould to form. It's important that you remove damaged porous objects and materials as soon as possible, especially gypsum, cardboard and carpet. It is recommended that you consult a cleaning service company after major water damage.
I'm not sure I have a mould problem. What should I do?
Pay particular attention to wood. If it seems soft and is easy to crumble, you may have a mould problem under your arms. If there is any doubt about a stain, moisten it with bleach and if there is mould, this test will discolour the stain after one or two hours. Moreover, no matter the room, the presence of water is never a good sign.
You can also buy a mold test kit at a hardware store or renovation store or do business with an air quality testing laboratory.
See also :Identifying and Preventing Mould
Air Quality: Do You Know How to Improve It?
3 Errors Often Made by First-Time Buyers